Here’s a tutorial for a cute little felt penguin toy or ornament perfect for Christmas (or just for winter fun)
Finished measurements: Each penguin is roughly 3″ tall so they don’t take much in the way of supplies.
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link to Craftsy. That means if you click the link and buy through it, I *may* receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. It’s free to open an account with Craftsy.
New to sewing with felt? Check out my tips here.
Supplies to make one felt penguin:
- 1/4 of one sheet of black felt for body and wings
- Scraps of white felt for belly, and eyes
- Scraps of orange felt for beak and feet
- Black embroidery floss
- Ribbon (if making it an ornament)
- Thread and needle (could also use a sewing machine for some of it)
- Fabric glue (optional); I use Fabri-Tac
- The template that you can download here (Craftsy affiliate link, it’s free to open an account)
For the felt I prefer wool blend felt sheets but the Eco-fi sheets are ok in a pinch (they don’t pill as much as the craft sheets of felt from the dollar store but aren’t nearly as durable as the wool blend)
(This explains how to make the ornament version, just leave off the ribbon if you want a little toy instead).
1. Cut out all pieces. 2 body, 1 belly, 1 pair eyes, 1 beak, 2 feet, 10″ piece ribbon (not pictured)
2. Stitch belly to one body piece, lining up bottom of belly with straight edge of body. The bottom edge doesn’t need to be stitched.
9. Turn right side out. Lightly stuff and whipstitch opening closed.