I love making Christmas ornaments. It’s probably my favourite part about Christmas! I could make ornaments every day, so I was excited to take part in the 12 days of Christmas blogger challenge hosted by SewMcCool.com.
Voting is now live for the blogger challenge!
Go here to choose your favourite project!
(Check out the list of the other bloggers participating at the end of this post).
What I love to do with all the ornaments I make is to attach them to the gifts I’m giving at Christmas. This star ornament is quick and easy exactly for that purpose. Eventually my plan is to handmake gifts for everyone on my list but until then I make ornaments for everyone I gift to so that way everyone gets something handmade.
Star shaped cookie cutter to make pattern shape (or hand draw your own star)
scrap piece of fabric (or charm square)
2 pieces of felt slightly larger than your shape
small amount of polyfill
8″ piece of ribbon
hand needle and thread or sewing machine
chopstick or other tool for stuffing
Star Ornament Instructions:
1) Trace your shape onto paper and cut out. I used a cookie cutter to trace around.
2) Pin your paper shape onto your fabric, and cut out.
3) Pin your fabric star on top of the two pieces of felt, and sandwich the ribbon in between the two layers of felt.
4) Using a blanket stitch, sew your three layers together. You can do this by hand or on your sewing machine. Make sure to leave a small opening for adding your polyfill.
5) With the help of a chopstick lightly stuff the star between the two layers of felt. Stitch the opening closed.
To finish it off, cut the felt around the star being careful to not clip your stitches.
And you’re done! Attach it to a gift and make someone smile.
Now go and make other shapes!
The other stops on the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge:
Link up parties you might find me at:
Friday Favs Party, Inspire Us Thursdays, Tuesday Sews, We Did it Wednesday, You Made it and ♥ it!, Create Link Inspire @ Nap-time Creations, Worthwhile Wednesdays, Inspiration Monday Party, Craft Lover’s Link Party, SNAP, Threading My Way,Sew Many Ways